Salad dressings are also the only way some parents ever succeed in getting kids to eat vegetables. They certainly have their place, but the store-bought ones are loaded with omega-6 oils and preservatives. Healthy salad dressings, on the other hand, can be a great way to get a good serving of healthy fats in.
Favorite Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
Salad dressings were my former vice. I would eat ranch on anything. In fact, I will be forever grateful to it for getting me to love broccoli. Now that we eat real foods, I keep a recipe tab specifically for homemade dressings, and have come to love these. I can even whip one up at a restaurant by having them bring me all the ingredients “on the side.”
My current favorite homemade dressings recipes are:
Creamy Homemade Caesar Dressing
- One room temperature egg yolk (it’s very important that it is not cold!)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard or ground mustard
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, and spices to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Whisk egg yolk with whisk or blender on low speed.
- Once creamy, add the vinegar and all other ingredients except the oil and blend until creamy.
- Slowly add the oil, stirring constantly until incorporated.
- If it doesn’t incorporate well, your egg might still have been too cold!
Great with: Dark lettuces, chicken dishes, or on asparagus.
Zesty Italian Dressing
- Put all ingredients in a small jar and shake vigorously.
Great with: Any salad or as a marinade.
Tangy Greek Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each of oregano and marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Put all ingredients in small jar with lid and shake until well mixed.
Great with: Greens, feta cheese, olives, and cucumbers. Also a good marinade for a cucumber and onion salad.
Print this tangy Greek Salad Dressing recipe here.
Sweet Asian Dressing
- Put all ingredients in small jar with lid and shake vigorously. You can also mix in blender or small food processor.
Great with: Sesame chicken (as a marinade and dipping sauce), on a spinach salad with cashews, on cauliflower fried rice.
Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Put all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Great with: Salad with feta and cashews, grilled chicken salad, marinade on pork.
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Mix all ingredients in small jar or blender.
Great with: Any type of salad or as a marinade on beef, chicken, or pork.
Roasted Garlic Dressing
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pureé until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Put all ingredients in a small blender and blend until smooth.
Great with: Any type of salad (I like it on chef salads), kids like to dip things in this dressing.
Other great things to throw on a salad:
- nuts: especially pecans, walnuts, and macadamia
- chopped veggies
- chopped apples
- sliced strawberries
- grilled or baked chicken
- sliced steak
- all of the above!
Green Goddess Dressing
I love throwing just about every herb I have in the garden in this one!
- 1 ½ cups fresh herbs (packed, such as basil, cilantro, parsley, tarragon, fennel fronds, dill, green onion)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth or use a medium-sized bowl and an immersion blender.
- Serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite salad dressing? Do you have a healthy variation? Please share below!